Whether you’re a recent college graduate starting your dream job in a big city or a student living the internship life. There is always a big question mark on how to dress to impress in the workplace when you first start out. For new hires, there is still an underlying expectation that we have to meet to impress our superiors. Studies have shown that it takes only seven seconds for an impression to be made. Therefore, you should start with your appearance on the first day. So, here are some tips on how to kill it in the office and how to keep in touch with your personal style while looking appropriate and professional.
Dress to Slay
When you first start out keep in mind the season and the atmosphere of your workplace. After, a few weeks of learning the job and your co-workers, you can start experimenting with your style. Most companies require you to dress in business casual attire, which means you can rock up to-trend blazers, two-piece suit sets, circle skirts, and stylish button downs. Personally, I have learned that adding your own flair to your business casual look, will help reveal your personality. For instance, when I was working at Tigerbeat Magazine, I dressed to impressed every day to show my passion for fashion. Therefore, my editor-in-chief noticed and started putting me on fashion accounts and “What to Wear” stories. Don’t be afraid to try something new and add statement accessories like earrings, a tote bag, and some rockin’ pointed toe heels to basic pieces like a white collared shirt or little black dress.
If you are looking to dominate corporate America in a power suit or a chic get-up without breaking the bank, Shop these hot online websites!
1. Topshop: While many items at Topshop could become pricey, their colorful two-piece suits are affordable and stylish for your first day at work. However, if you want to be ahead of the game, they are offering 40% off on every winter item like sweater blazers and ankle trousers.
2. J.Crew: Calling all prepsters! This store is for you and only you. J.Crew has timeless pieces, and they offer a 15% discount to all teachers and college students with a valid school ID.
3. Zara: I am completely obsessed with Zara right now! They have up-to trend business casual clothing for under 50$. If you are trying not to break your piggy bank, I would highly recommend shopping Tradesy for Zara clothing for 90% off (OMG!!)
4. SHEIN: This trendy and affordable online fashion store for women, has summary business wear that will be perfect for your next big meeting or presentation!
5. H&M: H&M is usually a store I forget about. However, they have quality clothing at the best prices, and they have FREE SHIPPING!
What I’m Wearing
I love summer business casual because it allows me to wear my absolute FAVORITE circle skirt from ThePreppyMAG Boutique. This pearl embroidered skirt is extremely versatile and could be worn in the winter with black tights and heels. However, I paired this trendy leather skirt with my bell-sleeved button-down shirt to contrast with the pearls. I also added my multicolor neck scarf and my hot pink pointed toe shoes from Hello Molly to give it a summer feel. Considering I am in a fashion-forward industry, I would wear this to an interview or at the anchor desk.